Monday, September 22, 2008

Long time...

no post. I am such a slacker.

Gracie is doing great and just being her cute little self most of the time. She's recently learned how to throw a tantrum when she doesn't get what she wants, but instead of being frustrated, I thank God for the opportunity to go through something normal like everyone else for a change. :)

Gracie's eating process is slowly but surely coming along. She's eating more and more each day and she's definitely experimental when it comes to food. She still turns her nose up at traditional baby foods. Her preference is to eat what I'm eating from my plate. Of course, with only one tooth that can prove to be a bit difficult, but she makes it work. Because she's be maintaining her weight over the past few weeks, they've taken the fats out of her TPN again. Hopefully we can shovel enough food into her to begin to reduce it in the coming weeks and get off of TPN altogether. Woohoo!

Also, Gracie is crawling more and more as she gains her confidence. Its obviously still a bit of struggle for her, but like the trooper she is, she keeps on trucking. She likes to walk around in her walker and also handing onto our fingers, and she has turned into a dancing queen! She bops and bounces at every opportunity and steals the heart of every onlooker. She's also pulling up on anything that stands still these days. I have a feeling that she'll be walking pretty soon and have even better opportunities to get into trouble.

We have an appointment this week to evaluate Gracie for her speech and physical therapies. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress she's made since we left Minnesota. I'm just so proud of her for being so strong considering all that she's been through. Our MN therapists Mary and Susan would do cartwheels if they saw everything the Gracie is up to these days. :) She never ceases to amaze me.

Gracie's hair on her head is coming back in full force, and much to my delight- its coming in dark. So I will again have my little blue eyed brunette to groom. She's also getting pretty furry on her arms, legs, back, and hiney. It's a side effect of her anti-rejection med, but I think its so cute. I'm just so glad she's not at an age where she'd be emabarrassed by it. Its yet another reminder for me of the amazing miracle that is occuring within her.

Other than that, all is well. We're still going to clinic in Jacksonville more often than we'd like, but hopefully we can get her medicine levels straightened out and train our new nurses to draw Gracie's blood very gently (to avoid hemolysis - bursting of the blood cells- which causes falsely elevated potassium levels) and just have to go once very 2 weeks like we initially planned.

The countdown is on for our return to Minnesota during the first week of November. We're getting so excited to return and see our beloved team of docs and nurses. We miss them so much! Also, we're hoping to run into our special friend Rylie and her family at their 6-month checkup too. I'm hoping for a great reunion with lots of good news all around.

I'm also looking forward to the cool weather, seeing the wonderful folks at the clinic, hospital and RMH, and a trip to Raising Canes- for some yummy fried chicken. Who'd have thought that a true southern girl like me would crave midwestern fried chicken???? Funny, isn't it? I will say that it is the ONLY place I know of that serves sweet tea in Minneapolis!

And now, a few pictures of Gracie at Aunt Misti's wedding yesterday! Gracie partied hard... and late into the night. I think she spent more time dancing than any other guest! Enjoy!



5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

She looks wonderful!!! So glad she had a nice time at the wedding.


Thanks for updating too btw, I was curious to see how she was doing.

Rylie Suzanna said...

It's so good to get an update and see photos. Thanks for sharing! Let's plan a date at Raising Cane's in early November. I can't believe we never ate there. The RMH food was too good, I guess. ;)

Yea for Gracie for staying strong! Keep it up.

Love,
Rylie's family

Auntie Chris said...

Gracie looks fantastic (and so do you guys,as well)...glad to hear the little trooper is enjoying different kinds of food - you go girl! Before you know it, she will be running around the house - get your running shoes ready! Hugs to all!

lola said...

Oh man she is so cute. I can't even stand it. Sarah you look great too, you all look so happy.

I couldn't be happier for you guys.

Love to you all.

xo

Reign said...

I'm so happy that Gracie is doing so well! Love the new pics, it's sooo cute when they dance isn't it? Yay for crawling, go Gracie! It seems like nothing can stop this kid...watch out Sarah you are going to have your hands full with this one when she gets older!