Thursday, March 6, 2008

ERT #4

...went much more smoothly as far as the delivery of the Enzyme and such. We were pleased to make it out of Shands an hour earlier than usual and thats great considering that we got there an hour late too! We might have been out even earlier, but there were a few hiccups caused by Mommy that slowed things down a bit at times.
First, when giving Gracie the benadryl, I lost control of the syringe and squirted a bunch her mouth at once :( which she promptly spit right out. So, with part of her medicineon her shirt, we had to stop and check with Dr. Kelly to see if we needed to get more Benadryl or if we could just keep going without that little bit. It turned out to be fine but I felt terrible for not only delaying the treatment, but also doing that to Gracie and making her gag. :( I was so sad.
Then later in the day we had another little hiccup, although this one managed to almost give Mommy a heart attack. Gracie was still getting the enzyme and she was antsy. So she was playing on my lap for a few minutes and then decided that she wanted to feed. So I got her all latched on she starts to eat. After a few minutes she pulls off to smile at me :) and I notice that there's blood on the front of her outfit. I pull her away from me further and I see more blood. Well, I freaked, Jimmy turned off the drip and clamped her line, and then we put her on the bed and Kathy ran in. Turns out that we managed to disconnect the drip line from Gracie's central line, so the blood was coming from her open central line. Well, I am panicking at the blood all over her and me and then Jimmy and Kathy just smile at me and giggle because what looks like a lot of blood is actually only 5-10 ML... less than what they take from her as waste before her blood draws. I actually got some praise for catching the bleeding so fast... it didn't waste enzyme or anything. Woot!

I still felt terrible though. :(

We made it through the rest of the afternoon with no more problems and the next thing I knew, it was time to go home. Yay.
We met some friends for dinner when we got here and had a very nice evening. Gracie ate an entire bowl of sweet potatoes and charmed everyone as always. What a sweetie.

4 comments:

Uncle Mack said...

Oh lawd! That must've been scary. I remember once when I was in the hospital in New York City, I ran over one of my lines w/ the iv pole, unhooked something and later noticed a pool of blood on the floor. Unfortunately, it took several calls to the nursing station to get someone on the night shift to actually come check on me.

Boy, if I knew then what I know now. :) Of course, it seemed insignificant compared to the riots happening right outside.

Good job to mom, dad, and gracie.

mykidsmomx4 said...

We had the whole "blood all over the floor" thing happen too. It is amazing how so little can look like so much! I was afraid you were going to say sweet gracie's line got tugged on... so glad that was not the case.

Yay for shands being more on the ball.

Have a great night! :-)

Testdriver said...

blood, schmud! She's got plenty!!

xoxox

You guys rock.

*Adriann* said...

yikes!! i know that had to be scary. Give Gracie mucho love for me