Thursday, May 22, 2008

Day +13

So today Gracie had an excellent day! She spent much of the day awake and smiled and played a lot. She's also much less mucusy and congested and only has kind of a hacking cough and runny nose leftover. Hopefully that means the worst is behind us. It seems to still hurt her a bit to cough like that, but for the most part, she is doing much better. I am hoping to try and get a decrease of her pain meds a little tomorrow.

Even more great news to report- Gracie's white blood cells jumped up to .7 today! Excellent and exciting progress. We got the differential back and her Neutrophil count is at .5 which normally would qualify Gracie for a trip around the Unit hallway with a mask on, but luckily at Gracie's age, its not really necessary to do that. She's pretty content in her little room and definately safer when it comes to germy things so we've decided to forgo the hallway adventures. Gracie said I could go for a walk in the hallway instead. This kid is all heart, let me tell you. :)

Sad news... our Daddy had to go back home today. We miss him so much already and wish he could stay here with us the whole time. Of course, someone has to bring home the bacon and especially the insurance to pay for our extended stay here in the lovely metropolis of Minneapolis, so he will be working away for a few weeks before returning here to check on his girls. We're definately counting the days.

Spring has sprung here in Minneapolis and it is truly beautiful. Everything is bright green and flowering. The scent of the sweet dogwoods linger in the cool breeze and you can't help but breathe deeply and enjoy the non-recirculated-HEPA-filtered-extra-dry-transplant-unit air. Little puffs of dandelions seem to always be floating around these days and everywhere you look, tulips are wide open and basking in the sun. There are even a few bunnies running around and enjoying this beautiful Spring weather. And as much as I wish my heart could be as light and floating as the dandelion puffs, it still stays a bit heavy with the knowledge that my Peanut is not enjoying the sweet air, warm sun, and beautiful colors this Spring has brought. She's stuck in a tiny room, and hooked up to more machines than any little baby should ever have to deal with. However, I try to remember how many more Springs she'll be able to enjoy as a result of this confinement and I hold tightly to the feeling of hope I get.

Much love and dandelion puffs to you all.

8 comments:

Reign said...

So happy to hear that Gracie is doing a bit better. Yay for those numbers coming up, that's exciting news!!!!! I'm still chanting with you-GROW, GROW, GROW!

I'm sorry to hear that Jimmy had to go home for now, I know that's got to be extremely hard on you Sarah. I'm sure Gracie will be missing daddy too. I'm praying for extra strength for all of you to get through these critical days when you have to be apart. As always you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Jack's Mommy said...

Sarah-

I am so glad to hear Gracie is starting the upswing in her journey and is doing so much better.

You all remain in my prayers every single day.

lola said...

Yea for Gracie! Our lil' white blood cell growning champ! Keep up the good work Lil' monk!

Sarah, I am glad you can still see the beauty outside even with all that is going on inside, I hope you have many stolen moments to do that for youself.

I was going to pray for some extra strength for you while Jimmy was gone then I realized you have more strength in you baby finger then most have their whole lives.

I am proud of you and I love you.
xo lo

Harriet said...

I am happy to hear that Gracie is better. I will continue to pray GROW, GROW, GROW!! I am sending out a prayer request through the Via de Cristo community to add Gracie & her family to their prayers. May God's peace be with all of you.

petrichor said...

I'm so glad she had an excellent day, I hope this means she's turned the corner and it's the beginning of the new chapter in her long life!!! Can you just imagine when she is in high school telling her friends "Oh yeah, well I went through chemo when I was just a baby!" no one can beat that.

kisses from me & Jessica

Testdriver said...

GROW!

GROW!

GROW!

GROW!

GROW!

xo,

Kent, Hys, Smokey, and The Bandit

Kelsey said...

Yippy for a .7!!!!!!! That is awesome! Keep up the good Growing Gracie.

So glad that you got to enjoy some outside spring weather and that you can find the gret in all of it. Give Gracie some kisses for us.

Hope Jimmy made a safe trip home. I am sure you are both going to miss him like crazy as he will miss his girls.

Anonymous said...

We are so glad to hear that Gracie is doing so good. We'll keep all of you in our prayers. Love - James, Michelle and Morgan