Thursday, May 8, 2008

A late night/early morning post on Gracie's "Life Day"

So in 12 hours from now, Gracie will be getting her new stem cells from a donated umbilical cord. She will get a fresh chance at life. We made it this far. I am so glad to be at this moment in time. I am even more glad to stop pumping my poor baby's tiny body full of chemo and work on trying to get her healthy instead.

Of course we have a very long and very tough road ahead. Gracie will get sick, go bald, and really fight for her life as her body struggles to accept these new foreign cells over the coming weeks and months. We will still be confined to this room for at least another month and we will have to really try and keep Gracie comfortable and healthy... and do our best to keep ourselves healthy too. I have to admit it- I am so scared.

On the other hand, I am so hopeful for Gracie and for the chance to give her a real future. A long life full of ups and downs, highs and lows, joys and sorrows. A chance to experience the world, to grow up, to know love and friendship, and the simple pleasures of life- smelling the cleans scent of rain, dancing on her Daddy's feet, eating an ice cream on a hot summer day... These are my hopes for my Gracie.... an ordinary life for an extraordinary girl.

Dear Lord, hear the prayers of my heart and bless my precious baby.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love to you and your family Sarah...and lots and lots of prayers

lola said...

What a hopeful day for you guys. We love you and you will be in our hearts and our prayers. Mimi will be there watching over the lil' monk. We love you all. Hang in and be strong. xo lo

Raising Baby Bee said...

You are continually in my thoughs and my prayers. Happy "Life Day" to you Gracie!

Jack's Mommy said...

Just know that all of you and Gracie have never left my prayers since this started. I will say a few extra ones today for Gracie's new start.

Patty

Rylie Suzanna said...

Good morning Gracie! We are praying and pulling for you from 512. We rejoice in this wonderful gift and opportunity for you.

Lyle, Jade, and Rylie

Amanda Salazar said...

I have been reading quietly for the last few weeks. I pray for Gracie every night. Today is a happy day full of hope. I wish nothing but the best in the coming days, weeks, months and years, for all of you and especially for Gracie.

Kelley said...

Thinking of you guys today and every day. I am so happy this day is here, but sad she has to endure this. She is truly blessed with a beautiful family. I admire and love you so much.

I will be thinking of Gracie and all of you all day today.

Love,

Kelley

Kelsey said...

Praying it all goes as planed today. I haven tbeen able to stop thinking of you all, especialy little Gracie all morning.

As uncle Mack said. Grow, grow, grow. We are all pulling for you Gracie!

petrichor said...

Isn't it funny how you get to the point where you wish more than anything for NORMAL and ordinary. There is a line from a song by a mother of two special needs children, "you've taught me more in your lifetime than I ever learned in mine" and it's true.
Please God, just let Gracie get through this, make those cells grow, and let her experience life to the fullest!

Lily

Reign said...

Happy New Life Day Gracie!!!! I'm praying extra hard for a successful transplant, we all want you to grow up to live a happy normal life. Much love to all of you!

mykidsmomx4 said...

Beautiful words. What a wonderful day. Happy Rebirthday Gracie! LOVE YOU!!!

Kindall & Lauren