Thursday, June 12, 2008

Happy 11 Months... Day +34

Yesterday (6/11) marked Gracie's 11 month birthday. Happy 11 months, Precious Girl!

Also we're at Day +34. Gracie's WBC count was higher than ever at 6.4 and her Neutrophils were holding steady at 3.7. Being above 6.0 means that Gracie is actually on the low end of the normal scale for WBC. We are so excited about that.

You might have noticed the nifty graph that Daddy made and added to the sidebar of the blog so that our loyal fans can follow Gracie's progress visually. If you look close, you can see the WBC line in the normal (green) zone. Woohoo!

As for the infection... it appears to not be a contaminated sample- its the real thing and they're calling it Enterococcus. There are several strains of Enterococcus, some of which can be resistant to Vancomycin, the strong antibiotic drug that the docs here use to treat infections. As of right now, we have no idea what strain Gracie might have. So as a precaution, Gracie has been switched to another powerful drug (the name of it escapes me now) to combat this bug just in case it is Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococcus (VRE). VRE can be a very nasty and scary critter when it comes to the immuno-suppressed, so we are a little nervous. On the not so dim side, so far our second blood culture has come back negative, so there's a chance that we got a weenie version that is not VRE and it was zapped with the medicine that is generally given (hmmm... could this be another prime opportunity for a biology cheat sheet post?). We can only wait and see over the next day or so to find out. I am extra thankful for our high WBC count right about now, let me tell ya.

This does affect our prospects for discharge this week though, and I have to admit that I am pretty bummed about that. However, the docs are pretty optimistic that we can get a handle on this bug and be ready for release by Sunday. Whether or not we can actually be released then is still up in the air. Sunday is the ONE DAY that Gracie and I will not have any family support here in Minneapolis. Uncle Mack returns on Monday, followed by Noni on Tuesday so we might have to wait until then. We have one more ace up our sleeve in the form of our wonderful Care Partner Volunteers, Marty and Lisa... so if I really, REALLY want to get out, I can. We'll just have to see what the docs tell us over the next day or 2. In the meantime, we'll be working on getting the room at the RMH clean as a whistle for Gracie's impending arrival. I know she will be glad to get out of that little room and start settling into a different routine.

Once released, we'll be visiting the BMT clinic daily for lab draws, and if she needs a blood or platelet transfusion she'll receive it there. We'll also have scheduled appointments with Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy, so we will be plenty busy while we wait out the rest of our 100 days.

Thank you all for your positive thoughts and prayers. Keep them coming- we definitely need them!

xoxo.

4 comments:

Uncle Mack said...

Ugh. Praying against VRE. I'm just really happy that it was identified early, no matter what it is. Hopefully the labs will stay negative. How often are they taking cultures?

Happy birthday Peanut and Butter. I miss you guys.

Love the nifty graph. Can you make it bigger? If not, change the scale. If top of scale is 10 rather than 25 we won't have to squint as hard. Also if you just show a shorter range of days, that also helps with squinting.

xoxox

mykidsmomx4 said...

Wow! Sunday? That would be so awesome!

I really hope the bug was zapped by the meds she already has! Those stronger meds can cause so many problems too! (With Lauren the stronger the antibiotic, the more her behind was sore.)

As for Sunday, if you are discharged and need help please call me. Sunday is Father's Day, so even though we will be in Minneapolis, Lauren will be spending the day with her father. I will have the other kids, but they can easily be occupied at the RMH for awhile while I help. I'll have a car to transport things and/or people, I can help 'wipe down' the room at RMH if you need help in that respect.

Email me or call me if you need anything. I don't think I have your email address, (i'm probably overlooking it) but I'll try to PM you my phone# through the MPS forum.

HUGS to Gracie & fam
Kindall

lola said...

Oh man that damn virus. As if little Gracie didn't have enough on her plate. :( Like Uncle Mack said I am glad it was identified early.
Crossing my fingers for your release to be sooner rather than later.

Grow Baby Grow!

Reign said...

Happy belated 11 months precious Gracie! I'm happy to hear that she doesn't have the resistent strain of VRE. Praying the antibiotic knocks it out quickly so you can get comfy over at RMH. And of course GROW, GROW, GROW!!!!