Wednesday, June 18, 2008

In Essence, A Little Kid

I heard through the family grapevine today that Gracie took a tumble off the couch in her suite in RMH. (The story ends happily--she's totally fine.)

My first response was panic (like it was when my babies fell off things when they were little and fragile, only in hyperspeed). Was her line tugged? Did it cause a bleed? Was the carpet dusty? What else could go wrong?

But after I heard that she was OK, all I could do was smile. What a refreshingly regular-kid kind of problem to have! After all the hair loss and vomiting and WBC counts and endless medication, how perfectly normal to hold and comfort a child who has suffered a run-of-the-mill bump (not that anything is run-of-the-mill when you're in a condition like Gracie's--make no mistake).

Then I laughed to myself about all the little tumbles and scrapes and headaches and heartaches that are ahead of Gracie, now that she gets to grow up. She's out of the transplant unit, and now she will become, in tiny increments, a little kid.

Gracie, you're so miraculous, you make even everyday miracles sparkle. What a tremendous new kind of love you bring out in everyone who knows you. Just like the Grinch, my heart grew three sizes today.

xoxo to all,
Aunt hys.

1 comment:

*Adriann* said...

i love this post!! she now GETS to experience falling off the couch. Sounds weird but it is the small things that mean so much. I'm sure it didn't faze her after everything she has gone through!