Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Weird Factoid

Just a quickie--

I forgot to mention last night in the medication rundown that a totally predictable, but nevertheless weird thing has happened since Gracie's transplant.

Dude. She has a new blood type!

She was, well, something different (Noni didn't remember what when we were talking about it) and now her blood type is O-, a rare-ish type no one in our family has yet come up with, but which happens to be the universally accepted perfect blood donor type. O- blood has no surface antigens to cause incompatibility, so anyone can receive it, which could have something to do with its being the blood type of Gracie's donor. ABO and rH matching are easy with O- donors!

Anyway, just an aside, but I got a little geeked about it. I mean, how many people get to say they switched blood types? How crazy is that?!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

She was actually O+ before transplant. :) Just FYI. It is kind of neat that her blood type is different. I wonder if she'll ever be able to be a blood donor. That might be an interesting question for the docs here. :)

Love to everyone. I promise to post when I get a minute.

Reign said...

Wow, weird about the blood type!

So glad to hear you are now at RMH, but man the schedule sounds exhuasting. You must be sooo tired Sarah, praying for strength for you to keep up with all you have to do everyday. Sounds like Gracie is doing well though!

Raising Baby Bee said...

That is so strange about the blood type! I'm 0- too. Me and Gracie are like, buds now... :)

Poor little thing on all those meds. I'm sure it's a relief to be out of the hospital and back at RMH.

Still thinking about you constantly!

Testdriver said...

O+!!!

Just like Aunt Hys!

(and presumably like Mommy, too).

Well, I guess she's still my sweetheart, even if I can't give her blood anymore.