Friday, February 1, 2008

How to: Making initial contact - sample

Here is a copy of my initial note to the research physician at the University of Minnesota. He called me within a few hours of sending it. Key points: keep it short, express admiration and interest in their work, create urgency, and include contact information.


Dear Dr. Orchard,
I hope this message finds you well, and thanks in advance for you time. My younger sibling, Sarah White, learned today that her 7 month old daughter has MPS-I. I'm writing to learn about the enrollment process for your clinical trial (NCT00176891), and collect any information I could pass along to my younger sister and her current physician.
Both myself and my other sibling (copied) have considerable experience in the health care industry, including some research experience. I'm familiar with the phenomenal outcomes for children with other genetic conditions (CF, in particular) following treatment at the University of Minnesota. We were excited to see your ongoing trial for MPS-I patients and would love to learn about your work in greater detail.
Best regards,
Mack Kelly
(Add Contact Info)

1 comment:

*Adriann* said...

I am so hopeful for baby Gracie!! Thank you for everything you are doing for her!!