Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Keeping Her Clean and Healthy

Gracie has a few post-surgical dressings from her procedures yesterday. There is a small wound where they inserted the central line.

Her mommy is learning how to change her dressings and keep the environment sterile so the central line remains clean. Mommy is very nervous about the lines, about her ability to keep them clean, and about changing the dressings.

There is one big favor that I'll ask of all of you: Her mommy doesn't know I'm doing this, but do your best to avoid the temptation to ask to hold Gracie. Due to the nature of central lines and the implications of any contamination and blood stream infection, I'm sure her mommy will appreciate having few hands on her. Don't get me wrong, Gracie will be perfectly healthy while at home. Her immune system is fine. I'm just taking a "better safe than sorry" route and protecting the lines that lead directly to her circulatory system. Uncle Noodles is a bit of a worry wart!

Gracie still loves kisses, but fewer hands are better. :) If you do hold her for any reason (or as a favor for mommy), please wash your hands well in warm soapy water. A good general rule of thumb for handwashing is to sing happy birthday to your hands while washing. At the end of the song, you're clean, and your hands feel special because they think it's their birthday! :)

4 comments:

Johnette said...

Hi:
I live in the panhandle of florida near Tallahassee and have a son who has hurler's he is 5. He had 2 CBT transplants. I would love to share experiences with you, if you would like. Christopher's were not sucessful ( he didn't engraft) and now has been on ERT for alsmost 3 years. my contact information is jfwahlquist@fairpoint.net

Lori said...

Amen to that one Mr NP, so glad you thought to bring that up.

NOLA mom said...

Hi. I'm visiting from the Mommybahn, where Testdriver has so kindly advised me on how to use Montessori approaches to help my 3 yr old son who has autism. Looks like taking the time to give smart, thoughtful advice and help runs in the family.

Though my experiences haven't been nearly as scary as yours with Grace, I know a little something about the dark fear of something going wrong with your child and what it means when friends and family help. Or don't.

It's obvious, but I'll say it anyway: how wonderful to have close, caring siblings. It's the relationship I want for my own children. I wonder how to encourage them towards that end. Your parents must have known a few secrets; maybe they should start a blog!

I'm a stranger to you, but none the less I'm sending my prayers, well wishes, good vibes and fellow-mama-mojo your way.

Get well baby Grace.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful comment NolaMom! Yes, I am so blessed to have such fantastic siblings and such a supportive family.

And we've asked my parents how they made us like they have and they have no clue. :) Must have been a freak accident or something. ;)