Monday, February 11, 2008

Miss Cord Blood America

One of the primary reasons they've decided to move forward with ERT is the time required to find an adequate matching donor for Gracie's cord blood transplant. We got a good run down of how this works today, and it made me think of Miss America.

First, they test Gracie's blood to determine all of the Gracie specific nuances of her blood cells. They look for special things in/on her DNA called "alleles" that need to match the donor alleles.

The start with a database full of thousands donor cord blood specimens. All of them are competing to match Gracie. Those that match her alleles are the best candidates. Of secondary concern is the volume available, or the absolute number of cells that can be infused. More is better.

After time and lots of testing, they pick a winner, Miss Cord Blood America, and claim it as Gracie's. In the event something should happen to the winner, they select a first runner-up, also reserved for Gracie, that will take over as Miss Cord Blood America if the winner is unable to fulfill her duties for any reason. :)


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Since the Kellys are now family I feel Gracie is my family too and I am rooting for her!. I am so glad you sent me the link to this blog where I can follow her certain progress. Yesterday we went to the Cathedral in Barcelona and lit a candle for her to Santa Rita who has not failed me yet in past petitions.

Testdriver said...

I heard that one of the contestants was in a wet t-shirt contest at Shands...

Unknown said...

Thanks for your kind thoughts Nury.
You and yours are a wonderful addition to the Kelly clan. I hope all is well in Barcelona.
See you soon.
Roni

Kim said...

Hey there,

I'm really praying for all of you. I had forgotten that we live a mere three hours apart (in Florida)
Please don't hesitate to let me know if I can do anything for you.

Kim
ksphotos